Talvikki Sweater by Named Clothing

Hello everyone!

              Does it feel like spring already? I have started thinking about spring-summer sewing! Can't wait to see the new pattern releases for SS'17 from the indie designers! I have sooo many plans for the upcoming season! However, today I would like to share a winter make. I made a Talvikki sweater by Named Clothing! Another #2017makenine make! Woo-woo!



             Talvikki is an oversized and loose fitting sweater with a beautiful raised neckline (like a turtleneck) with darts. The hem is shorter at the front and longer at the back. It also has dropped shoulders and deep vents at the sides. The pattern is labelled as a "simple to make" pattern according to the company.

Side view


REQUIREMENTS

             The pattern requires a medium to heavy weight STRETCH fabric with at least 30% stretch. Unfortunately, I chose a fleece fabric in grey with no stretch in it. I used 1,50m and I bought it from ifasma. eu for 4,50 euros per meter. I said unfortunately because the non-stretch fabric caused fitting issues which I will get into later.

Source


CONSTRUCTION

             I used pdf pattern (another Santa gift) which I traced as always. I think that I'm turning into a pdf girl! Haha! Since a few months I swore that I prefer ONLY printed patterns and blah blah blah! Funny me. The truth is that pdfs are less expensive so I can buy more patterns! Pattern addicts, I think I now can join your club! However, I try my best to not only buy patterns but also make them and I think it is going quite nice for now. Also, I try to find a system that I like in order to keep my pdf patterns tidy and safe. I may write a post about how I keep my pdf, in case anyone is interested in that!



             Let's talk about the sweater, shall we? Well, I made size 38-40. The construction of the garment was quick. I managed to finish it in a couple of hours (with time breaks) and as you may know this is super quick for me! The thing I found slightly challenging was the neck darts. The garment has a lot of darts (it actually has 8 darts - not that much- haha) which are also curved in some way.

Working on the darts



Close up at the darts


             When I finished the sweater, I tried to put it on but it wasn't possible! I couldn't fit my head through the neckline! No, I don't have that big of a head! The fabric that I used wasn't the right choice for this make because it didn't have any stretch at all as I mentioned before. I was so upset.. I really needed to tried it on! So, I thought why not to make an opening at the back of the sweater?


Right side vent


              First, I thought to put an invisible zipper at the back. While I was considering it, I realised that there wasn't enough fabric for that at the back. I ended up putting hook and eye. To make it look neater, I cut a strip of the fleece fabric, I finished the opening and I secured it in place with hand stitching. The opening that I created is about 11cm long. Finally, I sew on the hook and eye and it is ready!

Working on the opening. The strip of the fabric that I used was 8cm*3cm

Voila! The opening is ready


FINAL THOUGHTS

              I didn't plan the opening but I'm quite pleased with it. I put only one "hook and eye" in order to make easier open and close it by myself. To avoid that kind of mistakes, I would say read the pattern requirements carefully and then choose your fabrics with wisdom! I totally recommend it to you guys as I think it is a very stylish sweater, warm and super comfy!

Back view





SUMMARY
Sewing pattern: Talvikki sweater by Named Clothing
Size: 38-40
Fabric: Fleece fabric in grey, purchased from ifasma.eu
Notions: Clear elastic on shoulder seams (for stabilization)
Alterations: I created an opening at the back in order to fit in (my fabric didn't have the recommended stretch). Bad fabric choice.
Total cost: ~6,75 euros (price of the pdf pattern: 10 euros)
Make another one? Yes, definitely! A proper one this time but not for now. Next winter, I would love to make another one in boiled wool! Now, I only dream about Springy-Summery makes!

Until next time,

happy sewing!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,