Rise and fall turtleneck by Papercut patterns

Hello everyone!

                     Watching other seamstresses making turtlenecks during this winter I was tempted to make one for myself! I used the "Rise & Fall Turtleneck" sewing pattern from Papercut patterns. This pattern comes with 2 variations. The view 1 has a relaxed fit & dropped shoulders while view 2 is a fitted version with shorter sleeves than view 1 and with slightly dropped shoulders. The body of  both of them isn't too long. The pattern is labeled as "Rookie" which means that is for beginer sewers according to the company.




REQUIREMENTS

                   The patterns requires 1.35m of knit fabric such as jersey knits, viscose Lycra, wool jersey etc. I chose rib cotton knit fabric for my version in navy blue. I purchased 1.5m of it from ifasma. eu for 5€/meter. Rib knit fabric is made/waved like a tube. That way, you get 2 widths instead of one (if that makes sense). Usually, it is ~1m wide (which means ~2m in total).

source



CONSTRUCTION

                   The instructions were easy to follow. I cut size small. I lengthen the sleeves by 5cm as I was afraid that they may turn out shorter than I would probably liked them to be.

Clear elastic on shoulder seam, after trimming the seam allowance


                 I stabilised the shoulder seams using clear elastic  in order to avoid these seams to stretched out after use. The pattern doesn't require to stabilise these seams, I just prefer them like that. So whenever I work with knit fabrics, I always like to stabilise the shoulders using this technique.

Both of the shoulder seams are stabilised


                  I sew the entire garment using zic zac stitch in 3-3.5 length and 2.5 width. Finally, I finished all of my seams using again zic zac stitch in 3.5 length and 4 width.

View of the turtleneck untucked

Back view


FINAL THOUGHTS

                  The blouse turned out so nice! I have wore it a lot of times since I made it. I like to pair it with Erin shirt (by SOI ebook, review on the skirt is here). It is really comfy and at the same time warm. I like that I lengthen the sleeves a bit so it feels cosier. I plan to make another one while I would love to try the other version too. This time I will choose a brighter colour like a white, cream or baby blue. I would also love to lengthen the body about 5cm. I definitely recommend it! 




                In case you're looking for something similar, there is "Paola turtleneck" by Named patterns. I haven't try this one but it is  quite similar to "Rise and fall". The truth is that I chose Papercut 's pattern instead of Named 's because the first one comes with 2 variations (like I mentioned before) so you can mix and match. So, it is totally up to you! 😉





SUMMARY
Sewing pattern: "Rise & Fall Turtleneck" by Papercut patterns
Size: Small
Fabric: Rib cotton knit in navy blue from ifasma. eu
Notions: Clear elastic (~20cm, it is optional)
Alterations: I stabilised the shoulder seams using clear elastic. I lengthen the sleeves by 5cm each.
Total cost: 6.75€ fabric, 11.53€ pdf pattern
Make another one? Yes! I would love to make another one or two! 😊😊







 Until next time,

                                                                                                 Happy sewing!! 

 

Labels: , , , , , , ,