I made the Aldaia dress by Pauline Alice! Aldaia dress is the recent pattern release from Pauline Alice. This is my first make from #2017makenine
challenge! Whoop! In case you have no idea about #2017makenine
is a full post about it and also my plans!
Aldaia is a knit dress with a lot of
variations. It has 3 different bodices, 3 different skirts and 3 different
sleeve variations to mix and match! You can actually make 27 dresses
from this pattern! It sounds awesome, doesn't it? Also, the difficulty of this pattern is labelled with two scissors out of three, which means that this is for intermidiate sewers according to the designer.
|Take a look at all these choices that you have with this pattern!|
The pattern is designed for knit fabrics and it requires jersey fabric with a stretch between 20% - 30%. I chose ponte fabric because it is my favourite knit fabric to work with. I used 2m of 1,50m wide fabric in green which I bought it locally for 4 euros per meter.
The pattern was a gift from Santa last Xmas! :) It comes either as printed pattern or as pdf. I have the pdf pattern.
I made size 40 which I graded at size 42 on the hip area. I chose to make the wrap bodice, big skirt and short sleeves. I like so much the finished wrap bodice! I found it so beautiful and I'm happy with how it fits. Also, I'm in love with how neat the neckline turned out!
|Love the finished neckline|
In order to avoid the shoulder seams to stretch out, I stabilised them using clear elastic. This trick I first tried on my Inari tee by Named patterns and I like how it looks from the inside.
The first day, I traced and cut the patterns pieces of the fabric and the next day I put it together. This was really quick for me. As you may know I sew with a lot of time breaks. I'm a stay at home mum for now, so I spend the most part of the day with my little one. That is why I don't time my sewing. However, I plan to start timing it in the future. We will see how this will go.
|Here I wore it with my Lola coat (review on this is here)|
The instructions were very clear and I didn't have any problem during the construction of the garment. Working with a knit fabric, I had to use a stretch stitch or a zic zac stitch. I used 3,5 length with 2,5 wide zic zac stitches on the entire garment. Next, I finished my seams using 4 length with 5 wide zic zac stitch. I only used a straight stretch stitch at the back darts of the garment. I could have used a zic zac stitch but I was experimenting with the stitches and the fabric.
|I really don't know what is soo funny..|
The sleeves are hemmed using facing; a fabric band which I secured it from the inside using an invisible stitch.
|Finished neckline and sleeve|
Finally, I used hemming web tape for the hem of the skirt! I have this tape for ages so I decided to use it! It worked so nice! I loved the final result! It is easy to use, you don't have to use pins and the hem looks very smooth and well done. I totally recommend this technique! In addition, in order to secure the hem I top stitched it using with a zic zac stitch (length 3,5 and wingth 4).
|During the process of hemming|
I'm glad with the final result! It fits me like a glove! I really like the neckline of the dress! It looks so nice! The ponte fabric is very cosy and at the same time warm. Because I made it with a short sleeves I have to wear it with a cardi during this time of the year. I prefer the short sleeves, that way I am able to wear it all year round. As far as the colour choice, the truth is that green isn't my cup of tea. However, I wouldn't like to end up with a wardrobe full of pinks and greys! I am looking forward to make another Aldaia dress, this time I may put a gather skirt for a change! I'm so happy with the result, I recommend Aldaia pattern!
Aldaia dress by Pauline Alice
40 (bust and waist) graded to size 42 (hips)
Ponte di roma fabric in green
Clear elastic for stabilising shoulder seams, hemming web tape
Until next time,